Flu Clinics 2020
Planning for the annual flu clinics is well under way and the clinics will be run completely differently this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This year has seen many changes personally, within our community and our business, and here is another one!
Every year we vaccinate about 3000 patients against influenza (flu) - and those of you who have had the experience of Saturday flu clinics will know it is usually a very busy and crowded event! No surprise then, that for this year, we will be taking a VERY different approach. This article is intended to reassure you, explain and encourage you to attend our new look flu clinic.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FLU CLINIC APPOINTMENTS ARE FOR THOSE ELIGIBLE FOR FREE NHS FLU VACCINATIONS
- All those aged 65 years or over (including those who become 65 by 31 March 2021)
- Pregnant women (including those who become pregnant during the flu season)
- Anyone who is the main household carer for an elderly or disabled person, although not an employee
- All children aged 2 & 3 (not at school)
- Those in long-stay residential care homes
All those aged 6 months and over who have one of the following medical conditions:
- Chronic respiratory disease
- Chronic heart disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic neurological condition
- A weakened immune system, either due to a condition or treatment (and those living in the same household)
50-60 Year Olds
In line with the recent government announcement the 50 – 64 year old cohort will be eligible to receive the Flu vaccine this year, individuals will be contacted at some time in the future about when and where they will be vaccinated. We have no further information or guidance on this at the moment.
Our current Flu vaccination programme is aimed at the most vulnerable and at risk patients as in previous years. Please do not contact the Practice until you have been individually invited to be vaccinated if you are in the new cohort. Many thanks
- Venue: We are extremely grateful to Mr Parr, Head Teacher at Church Stretton Secondary School for allowing us to use the large spaces at the school for flu clinics. This will allow us to maintain social distancing. We will also regularly sanitise the area.
- Dates: To allow for COVID-19 restrictions we will be planning up to 6 full days:
26th/27th September, 10th/11th October, 7th November definite, with 8th November being held as a back-up if needed.
Under 18's - the afternoon of 7th November will be used for the under 18's and their family members who also require flu vaccinations. The under 18's flu vaccinations are unlikely to be available before this time.
- Timings: You will NEED TO BOOK A TIME SLOT TO ATTEND
Adults over 18, pleas book online in the normal manner, looking for the dates as listed above, available to book from 29th July. DO NOT BOOK A FLU JAB IN A NORMAL CLINIC SLOT - YOU WILL NOT BE GIVEN IT.
If you cannot book online, please call the dedicated phone line - 01694 725934 - on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 3pm and 6pm. This phone line will open from Wednesday 29th July. If you wish to attend as a group, or book an under 18, please ask ONE person from the group to call - make sure they have the names and date of birth for all in the group.
Please do not call the normal reception number - they will not be able to book your appointment.
- Face Coverings: When attending the flu clinic, please wear a face covering of some sort. This helps protect everyone. This applies to adults and children over 11 years. We understand there may be exceptional circumstances where you cannot wear a face covering.
- Clothing: due to the location we cannot provide individual rooms so please wear appropriate clothing that will allow the very top of your arm to be exposed without the need to undress.
- Illness: as with any appointment, please do NOT attend if you have COVID-19 symptoms.
As shielding will have ended by the time of the flu clinics, any patient who was shielding can now book a slot.
We very much hope that you can see we are making a significant effort to create a flu vaccination program that is safe, accessible and efficient. Please work with us - we understand that the system will not suit everyone but please think very carefully before you call the surgery to make a complaint. We have a duty to everyone and we feel this is the best way we can help as many people as possible.
Residents of Ley Gardens and Denehurst Court - we will be making arrangements for our nursing team to visit you and give you the vaccinations - so you will NOT need to book an appointment.
PLEASE ENSURE WE HAVE YOUR UP TO DATE MOBINE PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS AS COMMUNICATION IS SO MUCH QUICKER AND SUITABLY TARGETED.
We very much look forward to seeing you at "Flu Clinic 2020" - stay safe and take care!
All the doctors, nurses and team from Church Stretton Medical Practice
Published: Jul 9, 2020